Sunday, June 21, 2015

The entire weekend including Friday has been spent dealing with drainage issues around the barn, garden and basement. It was my plan to move all my seedlings from the greenhouse into the garden area in either pots or raised beds. However, strong winds and torrential downpours had other plans. My horses were sinking to their hocks in muck while getting in and out of their stalls and the goats were skirting around puddles and hiding from dripping rain water that seemed to come from everywhere. I had to do something. With pitchfork, shovel and pick I set out to move water. I dig ditches and trenches and moved muck and sludge. I closed off outside doors to horse stalls and fashioned a barricade inside the main entrance to the barn. My mother, God rest her soul, is I'm sure not happy... Horses in the middle of the barn as their place of refuge. As I sit finally after a 14 hour day, it is odd to see the front door of the barn wide open and horse faces peeking out.
Even though I did a fraction of what I set out to do, I feel as if I accomplished something. My garden in still a pool, my basement still has water, laundry and household chores are by no means complete, but my animals as safe, fed, and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment